SafeWander Sensor + Gateway
The SafeWander sensor can be used with or without the Gateway. The Gateway boosts the Bluetooth signal through Wifi, allowing signals to be sent to a smartphone or tablet... anywhere you go!
If you and your smartphone or tablet are in the same room as the Sensor, they can communicate via their built-in Bluetooth. Therefore, you do not need to use a Gateway. WiFi is not required for this type of setup.
If you monitor from a different room (or anywhere), you will use the provided Gateway and plug it into an outlet close to the Sensor/wearer to relay the Sensor signal to your phone/tablet via WiFi and Internet. WiFi is required to use the Gateway and this setup is highly recommended.
How long does it take to set up SafeWander?
It should not take more than 15 minutes to get started in the following four simple steps:
- Plug Gateway near the patient’s bed
- Download SafeWander App
- Register user, patient, sensor, and gateway
- Attach sensor to clothing and start monitoring
What mobile device do I need?
In order to monitor/operate the SafeWander sensor, you must have an Apple or an Android mobile device that has Bluetooth:
· iPhone 4s or later
· iPod Touch 5 or later
· iPad 3/4/mini/air/pro
· Google Nexus 4/5/6
· Samsung Galaxy S4 or later
· Samsung Note 3/4/5
To use the Gateway for remote monitoring, SafeWander requires a strong WiFi signal in the room (min. specs. 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz)
However, if your mobile device and Sensor are in the same room, they will automatically communicate via their built-in Bluetooth, without going though the Gateway. In that situation, no WiFi is required.
Plug the Gateway into the adaptor (included) and then plug it into a wall outlet close to the patient’s bed, ideally within 5 ft. This distance is limited by the Bluetooth Low Energy range between the Sensor and the Gateway in order to maximize the Sensor battery.
Leave the Gateway in the outlet at all times, even when the Sensor is not in use.
How do I complete the initial registration?
Turn Bluetooth on in your mobile device.
For Android devices with OS 6.0 (Marshmallow) or later, you must turn on Location service.
1. Open the App. Create a User Account with your email address and password.
2. Enter your patient’s name. You have an option to take a photo of the patient by tapping the patient icon. Tap Save on the top right.
3. Tap New Sensor to register your Sensor. Turn on the Sensor by pushing and holding the button on the Sensor for 3 seconds until a light flashes on the Sensor.
4. Tap New Gateway to register your Gateway. Make sure that the Gateway power light is on; push the button on the Gateway once and the available WiFi networks’ SSID* will appear on the screen. Select your WiFi and enter the WiFi password. Once connected, the WiFi, IP Address, Internet and Cloud lights on the Gateway should all light up in green. *Android users: the SSID of your WiFi must be 20 characters or less.
Where can I attach the Sensor?
SafeWander detects your patient’s rising from bed by monitoring his/her body position. The alert is issued when the upper body’s angle in flexion direction exceeds a threshold. To avoid false alerts, you must attach the Sensor to tight-fitting clothing, including T-shirts, pajamas, underwear, or briefs. Some of the ideal sensor locations are shown below, but we encourage you to experiment and find the most reliable location of the sensor for your patient .